Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar (more to taste if you like things a bit sweeter)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 large tart, sweet apple (like Honey Crisp or Gala), peeled, cored and diced
- Lightly grease a small baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (don’t preheat the oven if making ahead of time and refrigerating overnight).
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups oats, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- In a large liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the 1 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and add the melted butter or coconut oil. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Arrange the diced apples evenly over the bottom of the baking dish and pour the oatmeal mixture over the top. You can cover and refrigerate overnight at this point or bake right away (uncover before baking the next morning).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and the mixture is set and not super jiggly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a little milk poured over the top, if you want.
The Quaker on the front of a container of Quaker Oats is internally known as "Larry."
© 2018 Pacdude Games